Thursday, May 29, 2014

I'll Be There For You......

Continuing from my previous post on a TV Show, this time I would like to talk about some US based shows. It was during my first onsite trip to US(during 2005) , I started watching them . Returning early from Office and absolutely nothing useful to do at my room ,I started to catch up on the old episodes of all time famous "FRIENDS", which they play daily on TBS. Oh! Boy! What a time it was . Started falling in love with each of the characters, their dialogues, timing sense etc. It wasn't long before it turned into addiction and I ended up watching all seasons,all episodes over and over. The writers of FRIENDS were incredibly talented and the actors delivered their role to perfection. My favorite one was Phoebe :-) .

( I was hunting for the above poster for last few years and got it just last month on my US trip , such is my addiction )

Next one that I started watching was "Everybody loves Raymond" . This too is an amazing sitcom, and interestingly it taught me that American Families and the complicated relationships are not much different than our Indian ones. Be it the care free(or should I say irresponsible) Ray who runs away any serious responsibility, or his wife Debra who takes control and keeps him in line or the mother in law Mary who pokes her nose in each and every action of Debra trying to belittle her or that "Who Cares" type cool father in law Frank , all of them bear resemblance to any typical Indian Family.

Turning to serious ones , started watching "Prison Break" a crime thriller . In no time I was completely addicted, sitting late nights watching back to back episodes. The amount of preparation ,the attention to every small detail etc were simply astounding in this one. T-Bag the villain, at times I felt like strangling him myself .Such is the power of characterization in this serial.

After a while started following , Good old Seinfeld, animated comedy series Family Guy , Office ,recently Big Bang Theory etc  and none of them disappointed me.

Again on crime front started watching this serial killer series "Dexter" and was spellbound again. If one could sit through the first couple of episodes , they  are sure to turn addictive. Falling in love with some serial killer(though he kills only the bad ones) character like  Dexter , makes me ponder if we all have animal instincts deep within us. Sometimes I can't help thinking we need someone like Dexter to take out some rotten ones out of our society. The last few seasons of the episode were disappointment but still it would remain as one of the best crime series ever produced...

At this point , am not able to stop myself comparing with our Indian shows again. Be it any genre , comedy, thriller, action , have we even produced any show that is even remotely comparable to the above ones...Can't say lack of budget as reason,can only wonder if we really lack creativity.

Feel Sorry to sound  like jackass again , trying tp pull down our own people, but just have to call spade a spade....
Sigh.....

No comments: